Just a couple more quick things. I decided to put the photon torpedo launchers in the saucer, since that was where the torpedoes came from in TOS. I also did something else in that general area. It’s not big, we’ll see if people notice. 😉
Then I went and put grid lines and windows in the neck. I may add a couple other things to the neck, but probably not much more.
After taking some advice on the docking port on Scifi-Meshes, I changed the cutout for the port from a square to a circle. I also changed the door design to one based on the docking ports on the NX-01.
I’m going to work in a little while, so no work will be done on the ship today. However, I decided to render up some full ship shots with higher anti aliasing to take a look at how everything is looking so far. And, since I rendered them anyway, there’s no reason not to share them.
Rendering full ship shots gives me an idea of how things are shaping up, as well as giving me an idea of problems (if any) that exist with the mesh. So far, I’m not seeing any.
I got the forward sensor/deflector greeblies done. I also added the docking port(s.) The ports are based on other ones from Star Trek. It’s a pretty basic design, but there’s no need to make it complex. It’s (obviously) situated between decks, just like the one on the TMP Enterprise. The airlock would require extra equipment that would make it too large to sit on just one deck. The idea is also that the whole airlock assembly itself can extend outward if necessary to dock with other ships, stations, or whatever. I’m pretty sure that’s the way the Voyager airlocks were too.
Anyway, the only thing left to detail on the saucer edge is the impulse engine.
After a short break, I’m back to work on this. The saucer edge was next, so I started by putting some cutouts for it to add details. The three circular ones on the front are going to be the auxiliary nav deflector and forward sensor array. The ones on the port and starboard sides are obviously going to be the docking ports. And, I added some horizontal lines similar to what they did on the TMP Enterprise because I’ve always liked that look, though I did less lines so that you can make out the individual lines better. And, I put in the saucer rim windows. I went with more windows than the TOS ship, again similar to the TMP ship. I’ll be doing very few (if any) windows on the saucer underside because having a bunch of windows on that aggressive curve makes no sense. I may just take a cue from the Kelvin Timeline Enterprise and have no windows down there. Or I may do some indentations like they did on the Enteprise-D and other TNG era ships to put some windows down there.
I made some new textures for my TOS Enterprise model. When I first built the ship, I didn’t want to do any paneling or weathering on the textures. Well, I’ve changed my stance on that and I’ve done both paneling and weathering. The paneling is subtle, it’s only in the specular channel and I used small variations in shades of gray to make it subtle. The weathering, on the other hand, is more prominent. It’s in both the color and specular maps. I didn’t bother trying to recreate the weathering on the 11-foot model, instead I just did my own thing. I also tweaked my bussard collectors further and finally got them looking how I want them to look. After that was done, I decided to render some images.
I originally planned to do more than two images, but I wound up spending some time converting some of my older models to Lightwave 2018. This basically entails changing from the old style materials to Principled BSDF materials. Principled BSDF works much better with the rendering engine in Lightwave 2018. Unfortunately, when I change the materials, I have to reapply my textures. And, for materials where I didn’t UV unwrap the objects, I have to redo the mapping as well. So, it takes some time, to say the least. But, it was worthwhile as I was able to use my Starbase and Reliant-style ship for the second image.