I’m running out of steam on the other ship I’m working on, so I decided to start another. This one is a class predecessor to the Miranda-class. It’s a bit smaller than the Reliant from The Wrath of Khan, which makes sense as it’s from the era of the Constitution class, or possibly even a bit before that. I imagine it’s a class that was introduced in the 2220s or 2230s, and possibly saw service into the 2270s and maybe 2280s, as it would have been phased out and replaced by the Miranda-class. Not much else to say. As you can see, it’s just in the early phases. This type of hull isn’t difficult to do, but it does take time to get it all in one piece with rounded edges and whatnot, as I insist on doing.
With the interior done, I’m working on the exterior details for the nacelle.
I didn’t like the innards on my nacelles, aft of the bussard collectors. Fortunately, there’s a handy little tool in CGI called a delete function, so I used it. Then I built new guts.
I think it’s part 4, if you count my previous posts. Anywho, work continues on the engines:
I also figured out how to get rid of all the little white spots, the rendering artifacts. It turns out there’s a setting in Lightwave 2018 that doesn’t play nice, so I turned it off and played with the reflections. I know Star Trek ships aren’t typically reflective like this, but that’s OK because I’m doing my own thing.
Well, I’ve been working on the warp nacelles. I still have more stuff to jam into the insides, but it’s a start. I spent a fair amount of time playing with material settings in Layout to get the bussard collectors right. I also played with some of the other materials. I’ll probably not have the ship quite this reflective in the end, but it’s fine for now.
OK, so I’m getting back into CGI, I haven’t done much in quite some time. I’m also back to Lightwave, since I’m running Windows again. I upgraded to Lightwave 2018 a few months back.
This is something I’ve been playing around with over the past few hours. There’s no design that I’m basing this off of, other than the obvious influences from other Star Trek ships. I’m just kind of building it as I see fit, and I’m not worried about it fitting in with Star Trek canon. The idea is that this is a pre-TOS ship, from sometime in the late 22nd to early 23rd century. It’s not a deep space ship, probably more of a utility ship, with missions similar to the type of things we saw Miranda class and Nebula class ships doing on TNG and DS9. It would do things like transport missions, cargo hauling, survey missions, scientific studies, etc. All within Federation space, so it would probably see long service with the UFP and Starfleet. It’s also not huge, a little over 110 meters long, 75 meters wide and the height is TBD. Anyway, this is what I have so far:
One thing I love about posting this stuff online is the feedback you can get from friends and acquaintances. A friend over at Scifi-Meshes suggested that I move the Impulse engines from the back of the saucer to the back of the nacelle pylons. I like this idea as it not only frees up that internal space for me to put a docking port there, but it also makes use of the ample space I have inside and in the back of the pylons. This was a good time to make this change, as I hadn’t locked in that Sub-D on the main section and started adding details.
So, I removed the impulse engine structure from the back of the saucer and rebuilt the faces. All in all, about 5 minutes of work. Then I set about adding a new cut out to the back of the pylons. I made it wide and tall to accommodate larger engines, though the engines probably won’t fill up the entire cut out. I’ll probably add in some sensor greebles between the impulse engines and the larger center cut out. Note: The large sensor cut out isn’t indicative of the size of the shuttlebay. I’m going to do a smaller bay opening than the size of the cut out, like what Voyager has. I’ll probably put an airlock on at least one side of the bay, like Voyager has. The bay itself isn’t going to be large, probably big enough for one shuttlepod.
Well, I haven’t worked on this for a few days because I’ve been busy playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, which got a massive update on Steam, including the ability to play on Linux. So, I’ve been happy. Even though I own the old CD version for Windows, I could never get that working in WINE. If I remember correctly, I could never get past “insert disc 2.” It wouldn’t register the disc and let me continue installation. But, that’s all moot now, because all I had to do was buy it on Steam and download it. 😀
Anyway, back to the ship. I forced myself to add the remainder of the windows. It’s tedious, but I got them all on there. Note: there are less “rows” of Windows than on the Enterprise because mine actually line up with a deck plan, they’re not just put on there wherever I felt like. I couldn’t really find a lot of good places to put many windows on the bottom, so I just did one row.