Well, I built my first lightsaber today. I decided to do my first one using a Dominix V3 hilt from Ultra Sabers. This hilt wasn’t very expensive, less so than ordering parts and putting one together. Since I had a lot of other stuff to buy that I won’t have to buy next time, (soldering iron, solder, etc.) I figured to keep costs down on the saber itself. Now, just to be clear, this isn’t a money saving way to go, as opposed to buying the saber itself from Ultra Sabers. Complete with blade, this saber is $69.99 USD. I paid probably a bit more than that for all my parts and didn’t get a blade. Plus, I ordered electronics from another site, so I had to pay for shipping there as well. This is more of a challenge thing than a money saver. Truth be told, you can’t build a saber of this quality for less than Ultra Sabers charges for them.
Anyway, this is what I started out with:
And, of course, I also had wire, heat shrink tubing, soldering iron, solder, heat gun, safety glasses, wire snips, tweezers, helping hands (soldering tool) and electrical tape. I wasn’t going to use the tape, but I accidentally ordered the wrong size of heat shrink tubing and I can’t find small enough locally. I didn’t want to pay for more shipping, so I just went with electrical tape.
Anyway, a couple hours, some mistakes and a great deal of cussing later, I wound up with this:
Things didn’t go as smoothly as I would have liked, but I think it went well. At least it works. 😉 A lot of my solder joints could be a lot cleaner and I’d prefer using heat shrink over the electrical tape, but such is life. Considering that I haven’t soldered in over 20 years and I’ve never done anything like this, I think I did OK. The LED is a Luxeon Rebel Star royal blue LED. The color is about the same as Guardian Blue from Ultra Sabers. I wanted the hilt to be all black, switch and all, but that wasn’t going to happen with this switch type. It’s available in latching with either a silver, red or blue button. I went with blue to match the blade. Also, kudos to Ultra Sabers on that black anodizing. I accidentally touched my soldering iron tip to the hilt while I was installing the switch and it didn’t leave a mark. 🙂
So, that’s my first build. I’m happy. In the near(ish) future, I want to rewire some of my other sabers, do some LED swap outs. But, I also want to get that 1/16 inch heat shrink tubing first. I also want to try adding sound to a stunt saber. And, of course, there are other mods to try, the type that involve drilling and tapping holes and adding bits of this and that to the hilts. But, that’s all for later. I wanted this one to be simple. (walk before you run, and all that)