One thing I love about posting this stuff online is the feedback you can get from friends and acquaintances. A friend over at Scifi-Meshes suggested that I move the Impulse engines from the back of the saucer to the back of the nacelle pylons. I like this idea as it not only frees up that internal space for me to put a docking port there, but it also makes use of the ample space I have inside and in the back of the pylons. This was a good time to make this change, as I hadn’t locked in that Sub-D on the main section and started adding details.
So, I removed the impulse engine structure from the back of the saucer and rebuilt the faces. All in all, about 5 minutes of work. Then I set about adding a new cut out to the back of the pylons. I made it wide and tall to accommodate larger engines, though the engines probably won’t fill up the entire cut out. I’ll probably add in some sensor greebles between the impulse engines and the larger center cut out. Note: The large sensor cut out isn’t indicative of the size of the shuttlebay. I’m going to do a smaller bay opening than the size of the cut out, like what Voyager has. I’ll probably put an airlock on at least one side of the bay, like Voyager has. The bay itself isn’t going to be large, probably big enough for one shuttlepod.