And, she’s finished.
A friend of mine pointed out something I’d already noticed, that the hull was a bit too shiny. Unfortunately, Lightwave has a weird thing with specular settings. No matter what you have the specular setting set to, putting on a spec map overrides it. In the case of this model, it made it super shiny and kind of plastic looking. To combat this, I turned the opacity on the specular maps down to 50%, which cut it back to more like what I had before I applied the maps.
Other than that, I added my usual simple interior. I also changed the registry number to NCC-1058. People familiar with a certain short-lived Sci-Fi series from the mid 1990s will understand the significance of the number 58 with the ship’s name. I’ll use the NCC-1063 registry that I made for a different ship in the class. Then to finish it all off, I added some lights to simulate the spill off from the bussard collectors, impulse engines and running lights. This is way faster, especially in render times, than fooling around with radiosity, with which I don’t have much luck in getting the results I want anyway.