These are lighting tests. You don’t need to know why or for what, just know that there was lighting set up and it was tested. 😛
Seriously, I converted my old drydock mesh to Lightwave for reasons to be revealed later. After I got the mesh all converted, fixed and added some things and textured it, I set about setting up the lights. 70 of them in total. I did a few smaller test renders at a lot lower Anti-Aliasing to get the light levels and fall off rates where I needed them, but I needed to do some larger tests, so I setup a scene with my Enterprise model and a “sun.” It’s a good thing I did some tests, because I noticed some mapping issues on the dock when I rendered the first image. So, I fixed those and it looks like it should in the other renders.