Klingon Battlecruiser, Pt. 02

I added this thing to the top. I think it’s supposed to be the shuttlebay and impulse engine. The opening at the top is supposed to be the bay and the thing underneath is the engine. I guess Klingons don’t worry about things like space for shuttles or their pilots running into the engine. (the true test of a pilot 😉 ) I went off script a bit and added a slight indentation to the middle of the engine, it’s just a solid piece on the studio model. I’ll also add a glow there, like I did with my Enterprise model. I don’t care if the engines glowed in TOS or not, they clearly should have as they do in other Trek. I’m not going to go as far as to add a glow to the grill openings in the front, though. In my opinion, an intake vent doesn’t need a glow. The things on the side were designed slightly differently in the animated series, but I’m sticking with the studio model look.

D7_WIP007

D7_WIP008

D7_WIP009

D7_WIP010

I’m glad I’m not just using the Polar Lights kit as a reference because, surprise surprise, it’s not completely accurate back there. The things on the side of that part are wrong and even the back of the main hull is wrong. They have it flatten out underneath that part, but it remained round on the studio model.

Also, my friend Gerard “Taranis” Duffy asked for some wireframes, so here they are.

D7_WIP011

D7_WIP012

D7_WIP013

D7_WIP014

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Klingon Battlecruiser, Pt. 02

  1. Impressive take. I have had similar issues with the ‘wings’ you had but I run into problems with the face when I cut in the recess along the front. Your approach to the bulb (thanks for those wires) is pretty neat.

    • Thanks, dude. I solved the issues caused by cutting by not cutting it. 😉 I laid out a low poly version of half of the shape exactly as it appears on the final piece, wings, grooves and all. Then I rounded the edges, ironically, where I wanted them sharp. (They were rounded to a few centimeters, which added polygons around the edges that were necessary for the next step.) After that, I mirrored that and sub-patched that, to smooth out and add geometry where it’s supposed to be round. Unfortunately, the added polygons from the rounding caused that dreadful seam. To fix that, I manually moved some points and verts away from their neighbors, to smooth that out and get the roundness I wanted there from the sub-patching. All said and done, it was a time consuming and frustrating process, but worth it in the end.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s