Klingon Battlecruiser, Pt. 01

Even though I technically started on this in 2013, we’ll call this my first model build of 2014. 😉

I’m building the original Klingon Battlecruiser from TOS, which *should* have been first seen in the episode Elaan of Troyius. Though, of course, it was first seen in the episode The Enterprise Incident, where it wasn’t even technically a Klingon ship, because NBC messed up the airing order on the entire series. (the 2nd pilot wasn’t even the first episode to air 🙄 ) So, no, I won’t be doing a K’t’inga class at this time, nor will I be doing some kind of hybrid ship, like Greg Jein did for the episode Trials and Tribble-ations, and CBS Digital did for the “Remastered” episodes. (though, I’ve seen renders of CBS Digital’s ship and they should be ashamed of how low poly and inaccurate it is) Anyway, this is a ship I’ve always wanted to do because it’s one of my favorites, but I was never confident I could do it in my CGI software, until I switched to Lightwave. So, I finally started on one last month.

The main hull (the rear-central area with the wings) is the most challenging bit, so I started there. It took quite some time to get the shape where I wanted it and enough vertices in place so that the control points would go where I wanted them to when I sub-patched the thing. But, I finally got it. Then, yesterday, I did the next most challenging bit, the front lower section of the “head,” that’s more or less shaped like a chicken drumstick. That thing was a bit of a pill, but I finally got it. The rest of the ship should be pretty easy, since I got the hard stuff out of the way already. So, though it may not look it to some, it took a lot of work to get to this point.

D7_WIP001

D7_WIP002

D7_WIP003

D7_WIP004

The only thing I’m not super happy about is the “seam” where the wings meet the hull on the underside, but I’m willing to live with that. There was no such seam on the original model, but they also carved that by hand. You can do anything you want when you carve something by hand, you’re more limited in CGI.

Also, I’ve found very few references for this ship, despite its popularity. I have a few images of the model (I think it’s the original) to work from, and I’m also using another Lightwave CGI model of the ship built by Darrell “Warrior” Lawrence of 3D Gladiators for a sizer and for placement. His model appears to be mostly accurate, though I’ve noticed a few things that aren’t and I’m correcting them as best I can. Besides, I don’t want to copy his model exactly. I also have a Polar Lights 1:1000 D7 that I build a while back that I’ve used for a few things. So, I’m mostly “winging” it. 😉 Before anybody mentions them, most of the blueprint sheets appear to be inaccurate in one area or another. But, that can be said for most fan-made blueprints. So, my ship obviously won’t be 100% screen accurate, but it will be close enough for my needs.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Klingon Battlecruiser, Pt. 01

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s