OK, this is not what I had planned for the shuttlebay area. However, once again, my plans were dashed by software restrictions. (One of these days, I really need to dig into one of the 4 or 5 other 3D programs I have installed.) Anywho, the original intent was to do something more like the 1701-A (or 1701 refit, if you prefer.) However, the beveled edges were not working for me. I worked at it for hours and wound up with little more than frayed nerves. I’m surprised I didn’t lose any hair.
What I wound up doing is kind of a Kelvin-ish thing. I think it works OK. It’s not what I wanted, but life’s not fair that way. Fortunately, this is a non-canon ship and I can do whatever I want with it. 😉 This is as far as I’m going tonight. I know there are smoothing errors around the beveled curve thingy on the underside, I’ll deal with them later (when I do the grid lines, which will create more smoothing errors in that area.)