I’m almost done with the stardrive section. I just have to add a few lights and small things and then I’ll be ready to build the most fun part, the nacelles. 🙂
I decided to change a couple of plans I had for this model.
One plan was to model each detail, including all of the dozens of cuts in the grills on the warp pylons and nacelles. However, the object subtraction tool in trueSpace was being a pain in the butt and then, when I did get it to work, one set of 4 grills for one pylon was over 43,000 polygons. So, I opted for a texture with a bump map to simulate the holes. (the modeled grills wouldn’t have looked a lot better anyway, unless you got really close to them)
Another thing I nixed was the working shuttlebay doors. I can make working clamshell doors, I’ve done it lots of times. In fact, I find them to be some of the easiest doors to make. However, I have a few really close shots of the “doors” on the 11-foot studio model and, in order to make them work, they won’t be very accurate. And, since I’m going for accuracy here, I opted for nonworking doors that are more accurately modeled.