Mini WIP 01: Brisbane-class modifications

I noticed my spotlight on the Brisbane-class has been getting a number of views, so I figure I’ll post this mini-WIP here. Basically, a model is never finished. (at least mine aren’t ;)) When I call one finished, it means that I’m done with it until such a time that I feel like pulling it out and messing with it again.

Until last September, I was using an old (and I feel I should stress the OLD part) Compaq computer. Some people say “old” and they mean a couple years or so. Mine was closer to a decade. Well, I bought a refurbished Acer in September, which allowed me to start rendering things in trueSpace 7, which is a lot nicer for rendering (but I don’t like modeling in it) than trueSpace 4 is. However, some of my meshes needed some work to look better in tS7.

One problem tS7 has is the more objects that are glued together in a mesh, the longer it takes to load. If there are too many, it won’t load at all. So, some of what I’m doing is “permanently” attaching objects that aren’t touching together (so they can be unattached later if necessary) so that the mesh will load more quickly in tS7. This won’t be noticeable at all but I’m doing it for my own sake. Another thing I’m doing is replacing the textured signage with modeled signage. Basically, for people who don’t know, modeled signage makes a mesh bigger and adds to the render time. And when you’re running older hardware, you don’t want your render times any longer than necessary (because they’re already too damn long.) So, I textured the signage. Well, the problem with textured signage is that, unless you make the textures really big (which also makes your render time longer) it won’t look that good from very close up. However, modeled signage will always look fantastic, no matter how close you look. So, I’m making new modeled signage. I also changed the ship’s name from USS Eratosthenes NCC-2276 to USS Xavier (pronounced like Charles Xavier from the X-Men) NCC-17064 for reasons that are my own. 😉 However, the Eratosthenes can still be an earlier ship in the class. And, finally, once I get all of this modeled signage done, I’ll be making new textures.

BC01

I removed all of the textures but a few because they need redone. Also, the registry and stripes (basically all of the red shit except the running light) on the saucer is new.

Again, the little red lines on the access panels and phasers are new.

Again, the little red lines on the access panels and phasers are new.

There’s nothing new in these 2 images but it’s been a long time since I rendered any views of this ship, so I figure it’s overdue.  🙂

BC03BC04

Just in case anybody is still awake, here’s some stuff I made up last year about this class:

Brisbane-class Science Cruiser


Length:  350.00 meters
Width:   154.40 meters
Height:   73.48 meters
Decks: 22
Crew: 320 (roughly 3/5 are science department personnel)

Emergency Warp:    9.8 (old scale)
Max Cruising Warp: 7.0 (old scale)
Cruising Warp:     5.0 (old scale)

Armaments:  8 phaser banks (2 emitters each), 2 photon torpedo/probe launchers, deflector shielding.

Science department:  6 main sensor palletes, numerous other sensor arrangements (mission variable), 30 science labs

Class History:

Even as Starfleet Command was refitting and replacing its aging fleet of Constitution-class Heavy Cruisers, they knew that would only extend the life of the class for a few more decades.  That and the reports of both the Klingon and Romulan Empires developing newer, faster, larger, more powerful starships made Starfleet Command decide to develop a newer, faster, larger more powerful Heavy Cruiser.

Starfleet’s Advanced Starship Design Bureau commissioned dozens of teams to come up with the new ship.  Several designs were developed, ranging from not much different from the Constitution-class to the more exotic.  Finally, one design was selected to go to prototype, named the Brisbane-class Heavy Cruiser.  However, the prototype proved to be not all Starfleet wanted from its new ship.  It was only a little larger than the Constitution-class and, while it was more powerful and faster, it wasn’t enough in the eyes of Starfleet Command.  That and the development of the much larger Excelsior-class, which promised a new transwarp drive, caused Starfleet Command to abandon the Brisbane-class.

That, however, was not the end for the Brisbane-class.  Starfleet Command decided shortly after abandoning the project to revitalize it.  The Brisbane prototype was refitted as a science vessel.  Though it had failed to meet Starfleet Command’s requirements for its new Heavy Cruiser, it exceeded their requirements for a long range Science Cruiser.  It was larger, faster and more powerful than any other science vessel in the fleet.  It also had longer range, making it the logical choice for deep space science missions.  So, the Brisbane-class was put into production as a Science Cruiser.

Anywho, that’s all I have on the ship.  I usually make up stories for my meshes, I just don’t always write them out.  They usually wind up stuck in my head until I forget them.   😉

Advertisements

One thought on “Mini WIP 01: Brisbane-class modifications

  1. I love the Brisbane Class design. I think the tubes on the nacelles should be phaser cannons like the Miranda class though. Give the ship the standard Photon tubes like the constitution refit. Too bad an extra rear photon torpedo launcher couldn’t be added it would too bulky

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s