I’ve been wracking my brain trying to decided what I wanted to do about the navigational deflector area. I’ve not been happy with it and my previous attempt to build the dish itself did not go well. However, one of the reasons for posting work on the Internet is to get feedback. And, there are many times where feedback can get you past a problem you’re having, because people will often times suggest things you hadn’t thought of. So was the case with the deflector area. Michael “BorgMan” Bosscha suggested something so simple on Scifi-Meshes earlier that I could kick myself for not thinking of it myself:
“Hey, just a stray thought: what if you delete the forward section of the deflector housing and leave it at that notch? I was glancing over it a bit and I think it would look pretty cool”
I liked the idea instantly and went about implementing it. I was quite happy with the results, so I went about building the deflector itself. Here is the result:
Work continues. I was about to give up on this thing when I suddenly had a renewed interest in finishing it earlier today, so it looks like that will probably happen.
Anywho, the last of the real pain in the butt stuff is done with the addition of the shuttlebay cut-out and doors. There was a lot of cleanup involved after that, but it’s done now. The rest of the build is mostly details, which suits me just fine. Aside from the bay, I also added some grid lines to the curve underneath that area and added some grooves to the upper and lower saucer. These will eventually hold greebles, which will represent sensors. I figure a ship like this would have a lot more visible sensors than a Constitution-class, since it mostly performs scientific duties and whatnot.
Yesterday on Scifi-Meshes, Tobias Richter sent out a call for help. He’s doing effects work for the upcoming fan short film Star Trek: Axanar: Prelude to Axanar and he needed a little mesh help. (and I do mean little ) He’s got a Klingon dry dock scene in the works and he asked for someone to build a Klingon equivalent of a workbee. He needed it to be low poly and he needed it fast. So, I spent the afternoon working on a Klingon small craft.
My first version was too close to the Federation workbee and my second looks too much like a shuttle. This is the more shuttle-like version that I came up with:
I redid the details on the bridge module. What I had before was too busy and hectic looking. I went back to a more simple design. The lines also aren’t as deep and wide as before. Also, I nixed one of the windows for the observation lounge.
I added windows today. I only planned to do some on the saucer rim, but then I felt the center section needed a few. Not many, though, as that would most likely be where the deuterium and water tanks, cargo bays, etc. would go. Remember, this isn’t a long range ship, so it wouldn’t need all of the space for that stuff that a big starship would. Also, since there clearly was one in Kirk’s quarters in Star Trek 6, I think it can be safely assumed that replicators were invented by the time this ship was launched. So, there’s not as much need for food storage, etc. I did add a few Enterprise refit style arboretum windows. But, that only makes sense as the ship does scientific missions and would need a botany section. Besides, plants are natural air purifiers.
I added a docking port. I meant to get more done today, but the day really got away from me. Between watching NASCAR and the Academy Awards, I had a lot of distractions. Plus, I spent way too much time looking for references for the TMP docking port when I could have just scanned the schematic from Mr. Scott’s Guide to the Enterprise, which is what I wound up doing. It’s not 100% accurate, but it doesn’t need to be, and it was the best reference I have besides a nice photo from Memory Alpha. Besides, I’m sure these things vary just like any other Trek bits do.
I started on the vertical pylons. The pylon and nacelle arrangement is one of my favorite parts about this ship. Instead of having the nacelles being “held up” or “suspended from” pylons, they have this cool cross-pylon arrangement that reminds me of the tail fins on a C-5 Galaxy. Then the nacelles are attached to those and hang horizontally. It’s an arrangement unlike any other canon Star Trek ship. (the closest is the Cheyenne class, but that’s not quite the same) So, this is always fun to build. I thought about greebling the pylon, but decided instead to turn my attention to the main hull (or saucer, if you prefer.) I got the main part started, but no much more done today.